Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mt. St. Helens

Yesterday I took a trip up to Mt. St. Helens. It's a place that I've wanted to go since moving here - you can see the mountain from our house, so yesterday proved to be the best time to go. I didn't have D for the day, so after a lazy morning, I headed up.

HOLY COW!! From my house we see the backside of Helens....the side that didn't blow apart. It is amazing to see the destruction caused and how almost 30 years later many parts still haven't recovered.


This last picture of a tree stump demonstrates the force of the blast. This large tree was snapped off like a matchstick. I met a ranger at one of the rest stops and she was saying that the tree stumps that you see (everywhere) some are flat (cut by loggers) and others are jagged. The jagged ones are the trees which were literally blown away by 300mph winds. There were tree stumps snapped off which were HUGE! Probably had a 4-5ft diameter.

Great day. Great weather. A great learning experience for me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, pretty pics. Definitely one of those 'need to do' activities when you live in this area.

    ReplyDelete