Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ouchils and annoyeds

D went "under the knife" yesterday and had his tonsils and adenoids removed. Along with that, he had a thorough ear cleaning. We got to the ENT clinic at 8am, as told for pre-op stuff. I had to laugh b/c the nurse (who was young and definitely doesn't have kids) tried to have D take his temp with an oral thermometer. Ummm, he's 4yo. 4yo's don't quiet get the concept of putting something under their tongue - well, at least mine doesn't. At 8:25, they were ready to bring him back to the surgical room. Once again, the nurse really needs to have a better understanding of kids - she started walking ahead of D and he was just standing there holding onto my leg. Crying. Which was AWFUL!!! So, I asked her to come back and I had D take her hand. He stopped crying at that point and walked into the room with her. However, Mommy was on the verge of tears. That was one of the hardest things to do. Parents were not allowed into the surgical area.

At 9:05, we were told that D was done and that we could go back and see him in recovery. The recovery nurse we had was WONDERFUL. She has kids... D was asleep on the bed still with a breathing tube in him. Tina (the nurse - and yes confusing for D) said that they take it out when patients become more awake. At 10:10 we were out the door with our little man in Daddy's arms.

Yesterday was a day full of movies, begging D to drink or eat ice-cream, crying, whining and clinginess - most of that was from D. Getting him to take is pain medication is horrible. He throws a huge fit - yes, I know it hurts, but it does make him feel sooo much better.

Sometimes I wonder what goes through M's mind as a daddy. He told D that he could sleep in his room. I gave D his medicine at 9pm and went to bed myself. At 5am I had a knock on my door from M stating that D didn't sleep all night, he just cried and whined and wanted his neck rubbed. So, I asked M when the last time he gave D medicine. "when you gave it to him last night". WHAT?! "I didn't want to give him medicine unnecessarily" was the answer I got. So, at 5:30am, D got his medicine and laid in my bed for 2 hours dozing off and on. I took a nice hot long shower and when I came out D was awake, drank more than 1/2 of his juice, and wanted to go downstairs to watch TV. He's now sound asleep on the couch. Hmmmmmm - I wonder if the pain medication has anything to do with the fact he's comfortable and sleeping?

Unfortunately, the paperwork we got from the dr. stated that days 2-4 are the worst!! FANTASTIC! It's beautiful outside and I'm stuck in the house. All well, there will be plenty more nice weekends to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment