Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Can Live Without You


That was me.  Completely addicted to Diet Coke - NOT Diet Pepsi - DIET COKE.  I don't like coffee, so I drank 2 cans of Diet Coke to perk me up during the day, some days it was more, but I at least had 2 cans per day.  A coworker stopped drinking pop completely a few weeks ago, and she was a complete addict (4-6 Dr. Pepper's/day - not diet), so I was inspired to end my habit.  I put it in my head that when my case that I had at home was finished, I would not buy more.  Saturday I had my last 2 Diet Cokes.  I savored them.

I didn't grow up in a house that had pop readily available.  It was only purchased for special occasions and then it was bought in 2 Liter bottles.  I don't want David to grow up in a house where pop is available either, so that was a motivating factor.

I'm on day 3 and doing OK.  Yesterday I woke to feeling as if my legs were 100lbs each and my knees hurt...BAD.  Someone texted me and said that Aspartame withdraw symptoms can include everything I was feeling - joint aches, limbs feeling heavy, mind fuzzy.  These symptoms can last up to a month!!!  I'm experiencing Aspartame detox - WHO KNEW!!!??   Today isn't so bad (yet), I'm definitely missing the fizzy cold of a Diet Coke, but I'm stronger than my habit.  I have found some carbonated beverages that seem to help with that desire.

No, I have not given up caffeine - I'm not crazy!!  I found some black tea that has the same amount of caffeine as a can of DC, so my 2 cans have been replaced with 2 cups.  It's weird drinking a hot beverage though....not a huge fan, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I'm not giving up DC completely, I only want it to be a treat - a mixer with my rum, a special occasion...etc.   I don't think that I'm crabby, but if I am, I'll just blame it on the DC withdraw - even years from now!

1 comment:

  1. Steve did this a few months ago. He still has cravings, but he's been good. For him, it was much more about the ritual, and he definitely felt the withdrawal! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete