Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Gobbling Up the Night

As most people start the Christmas season at Thanksgiving, that's where I'll begin.  Thanksgiving was a small affair.  Just C3, D and me.  Because the 5 of us only eat dark meat, I bought only Turkey legs and cooked them rather than buying a whole turkey.  We had turkey, stuffing, beans, mashed potatoes and pie.  After dinner, C and I plotted out our 2nd annual Black Friday shopping trip, babysitter was hired earlier that week, and caffeine was purchased waiting to be consumed.  Because I had to work the next day for 8 hours, I didn't think that I'd be able to be out all night.  HA!!  This 41yo woman can hang with the big boys - and lack of sleep.  We had gotten that day's paper to be sure that all the stores ads had been looked through.  After dinner, the kids got a hold of the ads and started scouring them for things they wanted. 





C and I started at Toys R Us.  This year they opened at 10pm, so we left the house at 9 to get into line.  When we got there, the line was hella long.  As we were heading to the back of the line, C asked the first person in line what time he had gotten there - midnight Wednesday.  Then she asked the second people in line when they arrived - noon on Thanksgiving day.  So that first person in line waited more than 12 hours for NOTHING...he could've been at home instead.  C forgot to ask what was soooo important at TRU to wait almost 24 hours for.  We were in and out of TRU by 1am.



We headed back into WA and took a 1 hour nap before heading off to Target.  While standing in line the mgr came out and told us that all 14 registers were open in front and 2 registers in the electronics dept. Perfect, the 14 register line will go fast!!  I got into line, but everyone was unsure what line they were in as the rumor started that the line I was standing in was the electronics line, but everyone was being directed to this line, and another employee said that this was the main line.  After much confusion by customers and Target employee's, 2 lines suddenly appeared.  Guess which line I was in?  Not the fast moving 14 register line.  No, when the lines split, I was moved into the slow moving 2 person electronic line.  It took more than 2 hours to leave Target.  UGH. 

By then it was 6am and I decided that I needed to get home and sleep for a bit before the kids got up.  Our babysitter was still there and was staying until at least 9-10am, so there was time for another nap.  C went on her merry way to continue shopping, I went home for a 3 hour nap.  I got up to take D into Portland and took another 1 hour rest (didn't sleep) before heading into work.  I had the closing shift, so the crowds had slowed and I survived on just 4 hours sleep. 

I figure that I can sleep when I'm dead, for now, life is moving fast and I don't want to miss out on the fun things.  I like our "up all night" shopping, we talk to some fun people, see friends while in line and get some great bargains.  C and I were pretty much done Christmas shopping by the end of that weekend.  WOO HOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment