Monday, December 20, 2010

"Thing" - warning, squeamish pictures ahead

Prior to D and I going to Florida back in May, D has this "thing" on his temple.  What started as what we thought was a boil has manifested into a "thing" that won't go away.  We call it his owie - I've knick named it Thing.  M and I have tried various Dr's and medications and it wasn't until just a couple weeks ago that I decided that it's time REALLY take care of it.  I called OHSU and made an appt with a pediatric dermatologist - for January!!

Thing has been a scab for months.  Not growing, not changing, not healing, so a few weeks ago I picked off the scab in hopes of it to kick-start the healing process again.  Ummmm, no.  The scab had roots on it!! ROOTS!! White long roots!  Grrroooooooossssss!  It only made Thing mad and uglier.  Suddenly a small scab turned into an oozy puss filled large gross THING.   D had longer hair, so hair started to get matted into the ooze.  M finally was able to get D to have his hair cut around Thing so hair stopped getting stuck. 
Scab roots


Roots on the scab - grossssss!


M finally got really worried about Thing and took D back to his dr.  D was put on 1000mg of antibiotics and M was told to get it removed immediately.  This kicked started a week of scrambling on his part and a dr. appt which was then scheduled to a out patient surgery.  D was so scared of having ANYONE touching Thing that we opted to have it removed, washed, examined while D was unconscious.  Today was that day.  7am we checked into SWMC Surgical Center and at 8:30 D was wheeled into the OR.  An hour later the dr came out to talk with us.  She removed the large ugly scab, which revealed a 2cm X 2cm wound.  She washed out the wound, took cultures and performed a biopsy.  We should have culture results in a few days which will tell the dr exactly what meds that D needs to start the healing process - if necessary.  The biopsy results will be back in a week or so.  We'll see the dr again next week and until then, she wants the wound to remain covered. 

D went home with Daddy and is doing just fine.  I'm sad that I'm not taking care of him today, but I know that M will do a good job.  M had movies, food and games all set for D today, but the mommy in me wants him here. 

Thing - before


Thing - after  (still looks ugly)


3 comments:

  1. First off, that is really gross. But second, I cannot believe that thing was stuck on the side of Davids head.. I really hope they figure out what it is and get you some answers. *Fingers crossed* that it's something simple to solve and painless. Poor David..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, here's a perfect example of pictures being worth a thousand words. How horrible! I'm so sorry you and D had to go through it. Please do keep me posted when they've tested what they removed. I can't believe something you once thought was a simple boil turned into this! Kisses to D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry he has this! Is he doing okay today? Keep us posted as we will be thinking about him.

    ReplyDelete