Wednesday, March 2, 2011

To tell or not to tell? THAT is the question!

There is one question that all parents ask themselves a time or two during the course of their parenting life.  Do I tell my child that he's going to the Dr for a shot?  UGH!  It sucks.  Here are the pros and cons for both situations.  


Don't tell:
Pros:  No crying leading up to the nurse walking into the office with the needle
           No obsessive questions before "the deed"
           Very little drama ahead of time
Cons:  You didn't tell
            You've corrupted your child from ever wanting to return to the dr. 
            Your child now hates you (not always a bad thing, but for this it is)


Tell:
Pros:  Child won't believe that every trip to the dr is going to lead to a shot (even though during the first 4 years of their life it pretty much IS)
           You maintain trust with your child
           You can talk about what's going to happen and hopefully comfort their fears.  
Cons:  Endless drama prior to appt
            Tears and boogers 
            Drama
            Endless talking about how it's going to hurt worse than getting a leg cut off. (Did I mention - drama)

I opt to tell


I hadn't gotten D or myself flu shots yet this year and during cards last night, I learned that the flu has just started in the PNW and was expected to last until mid to late May.  I'm finally feeling 100%, so I made up my mind on the way to work today that D and I were going to get our vaccinations.  I called his Dr before getting D off the bus and unfortunately there was no mist vaccines available, so it was going to have to be the shot.  UGH.  That's what I get for waiting.  

The appt wasn't scheduled until 3:20, so I told D just after we got home from the bus (2pm'ish) what was going to happen.  He started to cry immediately.  We talked about what was going to happen and that it may or may not hurt.  I also told him that I was going to get a shot too, so we can each help the other.  I asked if he wanted me to go first or if he wanted to go first.  He opted for his shot being first....WOW!! 


D cried the whole way to the dr., while walking in to the office, waiting in the waiting room, walking to the exam room and through the entire process.  THANK GOODNESS that the nurses at Vanc. Clinic are very quick.  He was sitting in my lap and when the shot was over he looked at the nurse and said that she upset him so much he pee'd.  WHAT!!???  He's sitting in my LAP!!  My heart sank...UGH!  I felt his pants, dry.   I felt my pants, dry.  He didn't pee....yet....but he had to go...BAD!  Off he went to the potty.  PHEW!  I haven't been pee'd on in several years!!  The boy is almost 6!!  


After some running around doing errands, I got my shot and we went home.  Flu shots done for the year.  Hopefully, we dodged a flu bug bullet. 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment