Monday, November 26, 2012

A Look Under the Hood

Last Monday I went for my annual lady parts exams - pap and mammogram.  While I have always had some monthly issues and infertility, I've never had a pap or exam come up with any concern.  Until....

While my dr. was taking a look "under the hood", she found a rather large cervical polyp which she removed and sent off to pathology.  She said that 99% of the time polyps are benign and pretty common to older premenopausal women.  Also, because of this polyp and the monthly issues I've been having for years, she decided that it was time to order an ultrasound to see if there was anything within the uterus.  The ultrasound happened the day before Thanksgiving.  With the Holiday weekend, I didn't expect any results until today.  Luckily I was home for lunch when my dr. called because the news she had was concerning and scary.

And the results are.... 

The biopsy of the polyp came back with abnormal cells, but an inconclusive result because my pap sample was normal.  I also don't have HPV (leading cause of cervical cancer).  Also, my ultrasound found something within my uterus.  DAMN!  I'm scheduled for a cervical cone biopsy and a D & C and I'm scared shitless.  I broke down. 

I'll have a friend take me too and from the surgery (in Dec), I've arranged David to be with Daddy early and am taking 2 days off.  Now I wait.  Wonder.  Worry. 


On a positive medical note:  my mammogram was fine.  Thank goodness, because my mom had breast cancer. 

1 comment:

  1. I went through something similar about 18 months ago. A bad pap. After the D&C and uterine biopsy (polyp was found and removed) everything was ok.

    A few days of not feeling great but a good result.

    I hope the same for you.

    ReplyDelete