Friday, June 26, 2009

What is wrong with people?

I have 2 children stories involving adults. And I ask the question "what is wrong with people?".

On Tuesday night, I was working at Kohls and suddenly a Code Yellow was called. This means that there is a lost child in the store. So the 2 mgr's on duty post themselves at each front entrance to the store, and the remaining floor staff is to start their search. I'm POS (point of sale) so I just have to stay at my register. I was ringing out a lady and one of her shirts would not scan. I tried several times and even tried manually typing in the numbers. Nothing. During this process you can hear over the walkie talkies all about this little 3yo boy missing in the store. (every staff member has a walkie, so you can clearly hear them) I also mentioned to the woman how scary it is to lose your child even for a second...etc. So, the customer CLEARLY knows that there is an emergency within the store. I cannot get her shirt to ring, so I need to wait for a mgr., but they are tied up with watching to be sure that the boy is found. The customer starts getting annoyed.
"What's the hold up?" she says. I explain that this shirt will not scan and I need to wait for a mgr, but they are busy with the missing child.

She clearly see's my mgr standing there and states to me "Can't she help?".

I say, "yes, but there is a missing child in the store and she cannot help at this moment." The woman sighs.

"Well, isn't she a manager?"

"yes, she is ma'me, but as I've said, there is a missing little boy in the store and that is much more important at this time than your shirt not ringing up." I said and then in my head prepared for a stern talking-to later by my manger for barking at a customer. Can you tell I was annoyed?

The boy was found about 30 seconds after my barking, and my mgr promptly came over and we resolved the shirt crisis. After the customer left, my mgr stated that she was happy to hear me put the woman in her place. PHEW!!! REally, lady? Was your damn shirt sooooo important at that moment and time? Geeesh!!

Story #2

Today was the annual "end of preschool picnic". We were all having a great time and had gotten through the long line to get our food (it was a potluck). D and I were sitting at a picnic table with other parents/children and the teachers were sitting at a table kitty-corner to us. In between these tables, a woman had set up camping chairs and told her "older" daughter to watch the baby - who she plopped into a camping chair. The toddler was probably 4 and the baby was probably 9-10mo - old enough to pull herself up into a stand, but not walking. Several times we reached out to "catch" the baby from tipping the chair over.

Mom returned and I resumed eating my lunch and paying attention to D and just mingling with other people. Suddenly I heard a loud gasp and a thud. The baby had tipped over in the chair and her head hit the concrete. Mom jumped up and swore (ok, it was a moment she was having) she scooped up her baby. Mrs. McCool also jumped up to help. She went over to the mom and baby and tried to help. Baby was crying hard, but still had food in her mouth, so Mrs. McCool was trying to extracate the food before the baby choked. Mom wouldn't let her help. I just sat there b/c there was nothing to do at that moment. Mrs. McCool proceded to sit down and mentioned to the other teachers that Mom really needs to get the food out of the baby's mouth before she chokes. Mom WENT OFF!!

"That's right, just sit there and talk about me instead of helping!"
Stunned, Mrs. McCool replied with "I tried to help, but you refused. I just wanted to remove the food from the baby's mouth before she choked."
"Yea right!" exclaimed the mom. "You just sat there eating your cupcake while you let my baby fall" "You saw that she was about to fall and you let it happen!"

Ummmmmm - WHAT!!?!!?? I thought. Since when is it ANYONE'S job to watch your child, especially when you didn't ask.

Knowing that she was among parents and students, Mrs. McCool excused herself from the table and apparently went off and burst into tears. Anyone who has met this teacher knows that she is extremely nice and always willing to help. For goodness sakes she's been a preschool teacher since the day of the dinosaurs - if that isn't almost saint like, I don't know what is.

Again, what is wrong with people!!??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment