Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Thing 2

As I posted a few weeks ago, D had THING attached to his face removed.  The biopsy found that it wasn't:  cancer, mole, wart, fungus.  The cultures did show up with a staph infection, but not MRSA and another bacteria, but she said it so fast I couldn't write it down.  It has been determined that Thing was just an infection that got out of control and never healed. 

Well, it's been 3 weeks, 10 days of specified antibiotics and I'm happy to say that THING is healing very very well.  I took D back to the dr. yesterday to have the bandage removed that was put on at the time of his surgery.  While D was very nervous and he did cry, he was a trooper!!  He sat on my lap, the dr. took a pair of tweezers and peeled the bandage off smoothly and quickly (this is where D cried).  Once it was off, she looked at Thing and WOW, it's all nice and pink with no infection found.  D was also interested in looking at Thing, so he scrambled off my lap to have a look in the mirror.   

The Dr. is very pleased with the healing.  She did not put another large bandage on it, instead he's got a medicated pad and then a regular band aid on top.  I'm to change the pad and band aid daily, so that should be interesting, but D will soon get used to it.  I took D to WalMart after the appt and he picked out the band aids that he wanted - Spiderman and Transformers.  The Dr. wants it kept covered until it is fully healed, so perhaps another few weeks of bandages and it looks as if Thing will soon be a "thing" of the past!

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that "things" are almost a "thing" of the past. I know how long you and D have worked to resolve this.

    ReplyDelete