Saturday, January 21, 2012

Quality of Life

1 year ago today, I wrote about Oreo and thinking that she was going to die...any day Oreo .  Well, 1 year later and Oreo is curled up on the couch snoring loudly.  I may have written your eulogy a year ago, but how was I to know that you'd defy the odds and still be around!?  And Happy Birthday!  You're 13. 

In the last year, you have become slower, whinier and gassier.  MAN, you can clear a room!  You're funny when you fart loudly and scare yourself.   It's generally the silent ones which are deadly.  You can no longer walk the 2 blocks to the bus stop, the 1 block walk to the dumpster is about all you can handle.  However, you are spunky when you want to be.  You get excited over seeing people, you will run...trot really and you are happy.  Your age is catch up as you like to lay in front of the heater when I turn it on, you sleep more often and you're a bit grayer in the face.

Yes, you still have cancer- although, I really wonder if it's cancer.  Your mammary tumor us HUGE, but it doesn't seem to bother you too much.  We get some funny looks from people when I take you outside and I'm sure that those people are thinking I'm cruel to have this tumor hanging from you, but even the vet says that it's fine to stay and the risks of surgery are just too great. 

You still LOVE to chew on rawhide bones.  Sure, you have your good days and bad, but the good still outweigh the bad ones.  I'm not going to predict the future or whether 2012 is going to be your last year because every time I think that you're a goner, you just prove me wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Go Oreo, Go!!! My dog Tara was in similar state many years ago ... I'll spare the details, but at 13 the vet said "don't renew her license" ... she lived to almost 17. I so miss having a dog around. Hope to get some Oreo luv tonight!

    ReplyDelete