Sunday, December 23, 2012

I don't remember flossing there!!

On Thursday, I went into the hospital at an unGodly hour of 5:30am with surgery scheduled at 7:30.  My friend, Trina, dropped me off (thank you to her for getting up so darned early and having to be at work later that morning) and I was checked in. 

Even without food, caffeine or drugs, I was in fine form!  I made most of the staff laugh that morning.  My Dr. came in to explain the procedure and how recovery will be.  She mentioned that there will be stitches and I shouldn't be alarmed if at some point some of the threads come out - not all dissolve.  As she said this, she demonstrated the length of a stitch being about 3 inches long...I cracked up.  After she mentioned that, I replied with "No, I wouldn't be alarmed.  I would be puzzled because I would think 'Huh, I don't remember flossing there'".  First her face was of shock then she registered what I had said and she burst out laughing!  Good sign that she was awake and ready. 

My IV - HA!!  That was a procedure in itself.  My nurse was very nice and she came with the heat pack and asked if I wanted the numbing meds.  After having close to 15 IV's during the course of being pg with David, I know what they're like and don't really bother me much.  No, don't need the numbing meds.  I always let my nurses or phlebes know that I have veins that collapse easily.  DO NOT touch the wall of my vein or it's done.  She got the needle in the first time, no problem.  She drew blood from it and taped it well.  However, it was the fact my hand was covered in blood after all of that which I shook my head at.  What a mess. 

I met with all of the necessary staff and off I went to the OR.  I moved to the OR table and had the oxygen mask placed over my nose and mouth...YUCK, smells awful and noted it.  The anesthesiologist threw out some big chemical words for it being the plastic mask that stinks.  The nurses chuckled at him and I stated that he really shouldn't use such big words before 11am.  After a struggle with the armrest of the table, he injected my IV with meds (which stung!!) and said...'Nighty night'. 

I woke up 1 hour later in my room.  Within 10 min, I was up, feeling like I was drunk, but up.  Then the cramps started.  OY!!  Think of your worst menstrual cramps you've EVER had....double that.  I was given 2 vicodin and sent on my way by 10am.  

OH MY!!  Krista has some stories!  We stopped to get some breakfast first because I hadn't eaten since the night before.  It was while my stomach had food in it that the vicodin hit me.  I still had to go to the store to get my prescription which was a 25 min wait.  So, we wandered the store...me wandering more than her.  I did manage to paint my thumb nail with some nail polish  - what?! how else are you to know if you like the color.  I was lucid enough to realize that I already had that color at home.  Still, I'm sure I was pretty funny to watch and talk to. 

I poured myself onto the couch and slept most of the day.  I would sleep about 40 min to each hour.  Krista was on the other couch and stayed with me for most of the day - leaving around dinner.  I was delivered dinner by another friend and I was in bed for the night by 8pm and slept until 8am the next day.  WHOA!  Perhaps staying up most of the night on Tuesday and Wed. had caught up with me. 

Friday was a bit better.  Minimal cramps - no vicodin just Ibuprofen.  Although, a short trip to work and the store had me down for a 2 hour nap that afternoon.  Again, I poured myself into bed around 9 and slept until 8.  I'm on the road to recovery.  I have several restrictions for 6 weeks - one being no baths.  I LOVE A HOT BATH!! especially this time of year.  Boooo! 

I will possibly have my results this week, but more than likely the first week of January.  This is the REAL nerve wracking part. 


1 comment:

  1. The paragraph about the IV totally had me swooning. I'm glad you are up and about and hopefully feeling pretty darn good :)

    ReplyDelete