Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas cookies

I think my family is just the "odd" ones when it comes to Christmas cookies. I've always grown up with the thought of Christmas cookies as being something only had one-time-of-year. Apparently, we are in the minority. Being to several cookie exchanges in past years, I've come home with some very ordinary cookies. I was actually at an exchange where someone brought chocolate chip cookies. Um, I can make those at any time, right?

People, at any grocery store checkout line, there are Pillsbury and Betty Crocker mini cook books devoted just to Christmas cookies. It's right around this time that I miss being in Illinois. The "women" of the family would all gather at someone's house each year to bake cookies all day long. Hundreds among hundreds of cookies were made. Our rule was that you had to bring a batch of cookies made, a dough to be baked and a recipe to be made. Imagine 7-10 women baking all day long with all of those cookies!! Holy cow! It was a cookie spectacular. We would don our festive aprons and work away. Oh, lets not forget the Mimosa's and Bloody Mary's to start the festivities off.

Here are some pictures of past cookie bakes.
My sister, Karen, with David. Notice the table full of cookies in the background.
Cousin Liz (at sink), Cousin Marg, sister Karen working away.

I think I was pregnant with David here. My mom, me, cousin Jeanie

One also must not forget, Christmas cookies should be small. Eaten in one or 2 bites only.

3 comments:

  1. My mom and I did the whole Christmas Cookie thing too. Ours included all of the traditional Christmas cookies, but it also included Chocolate Chip for my cousin Ron and Oatmeal Raisin for my Dad. They may not be decorated in Red and Green, but they were very much a part of our Christmas tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Illinois folk are the Christmas Cookie experts... Who knew?! I seriously never knew Christmas cookies were supposed to be tiny, but I do agree they should be more special than just chocolate chip. Though nothing's gonna stop me from eating all ol flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if they are "supposed" to be tiny, but that's what my family did. Yes, that's right, Illinoisian's ARE the Christmas cookie experts.

    ReplyDelete