Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bye Mom

Today is the first day of Kindergarten for D!  OMG!!  This year the school district went to Full Day rather than the f'd up system they tried last year.   All the schools in the district are doing Smart Start days for the new Kidneybeaners this year, but not every school is the same - weird.  D is going to school today (all day), but won't return until Tuesday. However, C (C's little boy) goes to a different school and his Smart Start day was going to school with mom for only 20 min.  The teacher apparently did assessments to see what he knew and he doesn't return until Tuesday.  D's school has split the classes into thirds, so only 6 kids were there this morning.  They said that they wanted to get the kids adjusted to the full day schedule with a small group of kids, and also it fosters the opportunity to make some "friends". 

Last night was the Open House for the school, so it was the first time that D got to meet his teacher and see his classroom.  Prior to the OH, he knew he was going to school, but all he had to compare it with was preschool, so his excitement level was moderate.  Until this morning - every 20 min he asked if we were leaving soon.  That started about 7:30am and school doesn't start until 9:15!! 

I packed his lunch, packed his backpack with all of his supplies, pictures were taken and we were off.  D was not able to ride the bus this morning and I didn't know that he was actually able to ride the bus home today, so I'll be picking him up.  He can ride the bus starting Tuesday.  Prior to walking out of the house, D looked up at me and said
"Bye Mommy"
"Honey, I'm driving you to school and walking you into class"
"I know, but I wanted to say bye to you now"

Oh child, you do know how to melt my heart.  School, of course, was a madhouse, but we made it to his class.   I vowed this morning NOT TO CRY and I didn't, but it was a close one!!  We were standing in line waiting for Mrs. B to check D into class and I was overwhelmed with emotion - sooooo close to tears.

D got checked in and was asked to grab a book from the shelf to read.  Mom's were allowed to stay as long as we wanted.  D wanted me to read a book, so we sat down.  Not long after, D's name was called by Mrs. B - he was chose with another little boy, J, to take walk our Mommy's to the office to drop of the attendance slips.  D will be the "office teacher" for the next week and teach the other students in class how to do it.   He was sooooo excited!  We returned from our adventure and I kissed him good-bye.

It's a bittersweet moment.  Since moving to Vancouver, being D's mom has been my life.  NO, I'm not relinquishing my MOM card, but all of my friends are tied into being D's mom and being able to meet during the day, having the kids play...etc.  This is all changing.  It's another new chapter in my life.  Next week I start my new job at pre-school teaching 3yo's while still remaining at Kohl's for now.  They're just pissing me off at the moment, so I'll be looking for a different/new PT evening job.

Here are D's FIRST DAY OF KINDERGARTEN pictures.
Welcome the Class of 2023!!

No comments:

Post a Comment