Friday, August 27, 2010

CAT-astrophy

The other day walking home from the pool, D and I saw one of the "resident" cats who live the in the apartment complex - Kitty.  She has a collar and is super friendly - phone numbers on the tags were disconnected.  However, we were both apaulled at the condition Kitty is in at the moment.  She's skin and bones - you can see her hip bones and her fur is horrible.  Poor Kitty.  Well, that evening C and I were watching TV when a different cat came to my back porch - also very skinny!  I put food out for this new cat, but she didn't eat at all. 

The next day I called Animal Control to see if they'd come get these kitties.  They were very nice, but stated that they couldn't do anything unless the apartment management called.  So, I called the apartment managers and left a message.  I never heard from them.  I went to the office yesterday afternoon and was told that because the owners of these cats have paid a pet deposit, they are not able to do anything.  WHAT!??!!  Basically, they don't want people to get mad over $125!  OMG!  Walking home I found Kitty and brought her into the office and asked if THIS is how the apartment complex deals with starving helpless animals!  Again, I was told that they couldn't/wouldn't do anything!  GRRRRR!!  "If mgmt see's the owners of Kitty, they will speak with them"  but they won't go to Kitty's house to talk to the owners!!  WTF!

This morning I called the Humane Society who said that I should put food out and just feed the cats.  WHAT!?!?  While I'm all for helping animals, and I do have a cat of my own, these animals need more help than I can give PLUS, why aren't their owners being held responsible!  They did say that I could bring in the cats, but more than likely they will be euthanized pretty quickly as the shelter is completely full.  While, I do feel that there too many abandoned animals and I do feel that euthanization is a humane process, I don't want an animal to just be put down and not given a chance. 

So, now I'm in a dilemma:  Do I get Kitty and take her to the shelter or do I get Kitty and bring her to my area of the complex and start feeding her?  GRRRRR!!  I'm sooo torn on what to do.   As for the other cat, I don't know what to do either.  It only comes around during the evening/night, so I have no way of catching the cat and taking it to the shelter at that time. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment