Thursday, August 18, 2011

Happy Birthday

Tomorrow, Aug 19, Shawn's Birthday.  He would've been 12 this year.  Here is what his mom/dad wrote: 
Well, another year has passed. Shawn would be turning twelve.
The other day my dear friend asked me how I was doing, and I told her I have had to shelve my feelings because they are just too sad...
However, I love to say Shawn's name and hear any story about him as they warm my heart.
Last year for Shawn's birthday we passed out ice cream to the neighborhood. What a treat! It made me so happy to hear his brother's proudly say to their friends, "This was our brother Shawn's idea."
This year we aren't passing out ice cream. But please have some ice cream today and think of our Shawn who loved to enthusiastically share everything including stories, hubba bubba gum, socks, black baseball eyeblock, and playing games,
This year we are going back to Santa Rosa Children's Hospital in San Antonio. We are going to be handing out legos to children that are in rehab or having treatment. I have followed a few stories of children with cancer and they seem to enjoy putting together lego sets to help pass the time and take their minds off their journey while fighting for their life.
When I wrote Lego of our idea, they more than generously donated so many lego sets and magazines!

We are looking forward to sharing them, and I can't wait to see Grant and Justin helping the kiddos today with their selections, and sharing about how generous their brother Shawn was, and how they are doing this in his memory. In my heart, it makes the pain a little less dull to know his legacy lives on in my other boys in a tangible way, and that we are touching the lives of others that are hurting. Especially because we know the hurt.
As I wrote Lego to thank them, I sincerely expressed my appreciation. "I do hope you know how truly special we think you are to take our little idea for our beloved son and turn it into a memory that we are able to share with others."
That's what Shawn lived to do...
He is our incredible son, brother, and friend...and he is so missed.


I know this is an old picture, but it's still a darn cute one of him.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe he's 12. Then I remember he's Dylan's age. I love what the family does to remember. Such a great bunch. Hugs to them and prayers.

    ReplyDelete