Saturday, April 12, 2008

All God's creatures - NOT!

I know that there are zealots out there who don't believe in killing any creature. These are the people who will pick up an ant and place it gently outside....I'm not one of these people.

Today was a fantastic day here in the Pac. Northwest. 75 degree's and sunny. What is a girl to do on a day like today? That's right, head out into the gardens and start weeding. Ok, first I have to say, I like to garden....however, in small doses. Weeding every garden today was a bit much. I'm DONE with weeding for the season. HA!! I wish.

One of our back raised gardens had strawberry plants in them. Last year we had berries, but once they were ready to be picked, something had already munched on them. Hmmmm? Slugs perhaps? NOOOOOO. Grubs! I found so many of those little suckers. Well, not so little. Some were quite large. Being that I do not want these creatures in my gardens, I chucked them over our cement wall and (hopefully) they landed in the busy street behind us. The few that I found in our front garden got tossed into the middle of the road in front of us.

No, folks, I did not gather up the grubs and put them into a coffee container for me to release back into the wild somewhere else. They will not be making their way to the compost heap with our grass and weeds. I guess chucking them over the fence allowed me a sense of peace that i couldn't "see" where they landed. NOT!! I really hope that they were squished by a tire of a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment