Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Haircut Hell

D just HATES having his haircut. Hates it!! His first haircut was fine and happy, but since then it's a nightmare. I've been taking him down into Portland to Castle Kids Cuts, but a friend recommended trying Little Clippers. They're closer.

I called them first thing this morning and SURPRISE they had openings today! Just so happened that I didn't make aerobics class this morning, so I prepped for the journey. No need to find a "clean" shirt to wear b/c D is just going to cry and get boogies ALL over it. So, I opted for a semi-clean shirt - it had been warn before, but no visible stains. I told D that we were going to get a haircut today and he was not happy before we even left the house. I decided to leave early b/c Clackamas mall is right there, so I wanted to do some shopping prior to hell.

The ENTIRE way to the mall, D could not stop with the "no haircut". 20 min of that - see previous post regarding my son driving me up the wall with repeating the same thing over and over.

The minute we walked into the door of the haircut place, he started crying. Didn't matter that there were TONS of toys to play with, he cried and got anxious. After 30 sec. of panic, he did play for a bit...du du duuuuuuummmm...the moment of truth. His name is called. I take his hand and lead him gently and gleefully to the wide variety of various cars, boats or airplanes that he can sit in - he wants none of it. The tears start flowing.

Being experienced at D's waterworks, I didn't just bring the box of kleenex as I have in the past, but this time a hand towel!! My child doesn't just shed a few small tears, liquid flows freely from every orifice! Soon the towel is soaked as is the entire front of my shirt. Being an experienced child hairstylist, Lalita whips out a clean dry towel for me....and we've only trimmed the hair around his ears. "A lot of kids cry" she says. "Yes, I know" is all I can manage to sigh.

Less than 15 min later, covered in snot, tears and hair I can release D from my grip and begin to wipe him down. Normally, I am REALLY smart and bring another shirt for him and me to change into, but it was sitting on the dining room table (I forgot to grab them)....see yesterday's post regarding putting me into a home.

So another haircut done. 2-3 months from now, I'll relive this experience again.

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes, I understand! We did the 7734 haircut on Monday. Only, it was at the Barbers with him on my lap. Started semi-ok, but ended with full on kicking, screaming, tears, and, I swore, child services was in the wings ready to pounce as soon as we were done. The good part ... our haircutter was very patient/calm ... the sad part ... his hair isn't short enough :-(

    ReplyDelete