Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ode to Diaper Rash

Ok, this is less than an ode to diaper rash, than a rant ABOUT diaper rash. Since D has been eating solid foods, he has been plagued with chronic diaper rashes - depending upon what he's recently eaten. For a long time we could not feed him any tomato products....no spaghetti sauce, tacos, pizza - nothing. Still to this day we really don't feed him tomato products.

BECAUSE, when we have fed him these foods - diaper rash. Not your typical rash of redness, no, that would be too easy for my son. Instead, the diaper rash he gets is blistery, bleeding and extremely painful diaper rash. In fact, D's very very first prescription was not antibiotics for an ear infection or cold, nope, it was for butt cream!! He had a diaper rash which became infected. GROSSS!!!

So, once again, I am dealing with bleeding diaper rash. We went to playgroup today and as we were leaving D stated that he had a poopy diaper. After a quick check, yes he did. I said "ok, let's go change your pants" With that, D had a major meltdown. I didn't know why. I dragged him kicking and screaming to the bathroom to change his diaper. When I say kicking and screaming, I mean it literally. He kicked and screamed like I was killing him. I still didn't know why. It wasn't until I took off his diaper that I saw the damage. UGH!! I didn't even bother with wipes - they sting. I just put on a clean diaper and took him home for a bath. The drive home had me review what he's recently eaten which could have caused this rash. There has been nothing new. No tomato products, nothing spicy, pretty much the same stuff he eats all the time. hmmmmm - frustrating to say the least.

He screamed and cried about a bath, he cried in the bath and cried when he got out of the bath. I can only imagine that this rash stings like crazy even in soothing warm water. I let him hang out on the couch to dry off completely before putting on a new diaper...including cream. To which D cries "no team (cream), NO TEAM!!"

It makes my heart hurt to know that my son is in pain. That just the very movement of walking creates pain - he walks like he's been riding a horse for days. The thought of having to put on a diaper OR worse having to wipe him down if he poops makes my stomach churn. Hopefully this rash goes away quickly and we have a few weeks of nice soft baby butt.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I wonder if there is a little virus going around ... you know we were late to playgroup for the "diaper reason" ... but tonight around 8pm-ish, Nick liquified a diaper but didn't tell us. I don't think he knew. It had obviously been a while as the outter realms were dry/stuck to him. Hmmm???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap. Literally. I am so sorry about David's hindquarters. OUCH! :(

    Kelton came down with the crud last night (started with throwing up, moved to the other end and is now in fever stage) and I'm hoping like heck that Kaylen stays clear of it.

    These kids need to get healthy and stay healthy!!

    ReplyDelete