Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The things I learn from American Idol

I just want to say that I am not an American Idol fan. I don't watch the show, maybe catch a minute or two here or there, but never an entire show. Last night I was "forced" to watch. At least when you watch with someone else, you can discuss what is happening, so I "suffered" through it.

However, I did learn some things from American Idol. First, even family memebers will throw you under the bus when it comes to putting you on national TV. Oh, the many many people who thought that they could sing and just couldn't hold a note if they were given a bucket to carry it in. AND, their family memebers (mom's especially) were out waiting for them actually HOPING that their child will make the audition. As a mom, I would never want to discourage my children from their dreams, but isn't there a time where you just have to sit them down and tell them the truth? Rather than putting them on national TV for them to humiliate themselves? There has to be that point.

The next thing I learned was that waxing is painful! (well, it looked painful) A man came to the audition dressed....well, sort of dressed....like Princess Leia when she's being held captive by Jaba (the little gold bikini). ANYWAYS, yes a man came dressed like that. He had mega chest hair and Paula was repulsed. She told him that if he got rid of the chest hair (he had a lot) that she'd listen to him sing. Idol then showed a clip of him getting his chest hair waxed. OMG!! The waxing person put one strip down and pulled, but nothing came up...not even the strip!! She lost her grip and the man screamed out in pain. UGH! I'm rethinking the whole waxing thing for my body.

Finally, the American Idol experience taught me a new word. Actressing. One of the contestants who had a decent voice, but didn't make it to the next round had a fit. So she said that she's going to pursue actressing instead. Hmmmmm. Geeesh, I know that it's been many years since I went to college (I have a theater minor), apparently there is a new word for the work I did. Good to know.

I'll be sure to use my actressing skills in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment