Thursday, January 10, 2008

The toddler blues

David has had share of mood swings, but NOTHING like what's been happening lately!! OMG! Where did my sweet little boy go? Lately, his mood will shift with the wind. Perhaps its all the rain and he's tired of being cooped up inside or maybe it's his age.

On Tuesday, the morning started out terrific, he got dressed and was happy to head to MOM's Club. Through most of the morning he played well with other kids, he didn't try to take other kids toys or bully anyone. Toward the end, he started into the TPL (Toddler Property Law) mode. Once I pried the last toy from his hand, he melted down. HUGE tears, loud crying and sitting on the floor. I managed to get his coat on and moving toward the exit. It helped that his friend Jordan was also leaving with us. However, Jordan went the opposite way of the parking lot when he exited the building. You would have thought that Jordan had said good-bye for life with the way David carried on!! Again, crying, tears and having a fit - all b/c Jordan went a different way.

Today, was almost the same scenario. Great start to the day. Happy go lucky David. We headed off to Playgroup without incident. He played well with the kids and was really good. Until we had to leave. AGAIN, the drama! Crying, stomping his feet and an utter tantrum! He was upset that we were leaving, upset that Jordan put his shoes on, upset that Kaylen left before him, upset upset upset!! He cried all the way until I buckled him into his seat. It was a pleasant drive home until....he saw our subdivision. "NO HOME! NO HOME!" And the tears and tantrum ensued. He cried up until I put his grilled cheese onto the table. But, of course, Mommy burned the first one b/c I was too busy trying to calm him down!!

Hopefully this phase passes quickly and David returns to his sweet self.

Is it 5 O'clock somewhere?

1 comment:

  1. Is this when I nod and agree with you? Or do I say "Welcome to the stage where your sweet child turns into someone else?" When Kelton was little, I took him to the doctor and said "What is WRONG with him" Something has GOT to be wrong. He isn't the child I know." The doctor looked and me and gently said "We call this stage 'the awakening of the child'." SO not what I wanted to hear.

    But hey - eventually they grow up and move out. :)

    He is just dicovering more things about himself and his world. He wants to control things that he has no control over and thus - the tantrums.

    On days like that, I repeat over and over to myself "It must be really hard to be 2.5." :)

    ReplyDelete