Friday, January 11, 2008

Things that go bump/crash in the night

Matt was out of town, so I hired a babysitter and I went out last night and met Catrina and her co-worker Cynthia for Margarita Thursday - although for me it was Long Island Ice-Tea Thursday. Well, it was obvious that the bartender liked us b/c he chatted and bantered with us all night - and the drinks were STRONG!! Holy Moly! I have no idea what time I went to bed, but it was definitely after 1am.

Suddenly out of a deep drink induced sleep BANG CRASH resonated from my bathroom. The cat does not sleep in my room with me (he likes to pester people at night), so I know for a fact it wasn't him. My 2 dogs hadn't even flinched - great guard dogs. Maybe I was dreaming that I heard a crash, obviously I did b/c my trusty guard dogs would have protected me rather than snore so loudly I was afraid an airplane was landing in my room. Yea, right. So now here is the dilemma, do I get up out of bed to investigate, or throw the covers over my head b/c we all know from when we were children that covers over the head protect us from everything!!!

I lay there in the dark trying not to breathe so I can hear any movement or further noises. However, with the two dogs snoring it's hard to tell what I hear. Plus, my heart is beating a million times per second and my breathing is more than labored. UGH!! It's getting the best of me, did I or did I dream that I heard a sound. I must investigate. Quickly, I mentally scan what I have near me to use as a weapon and the best I can come up with is a foot file for softer feet. That would do me no good. I flip on my light (hey I didn't think until now that my nightstand lamp would be a good weapon - DUH. File that in the brain under "weapons to be used against an intruder")and scan the room. The dogs lift their heads, squint at me and I can hear them say "turn off the gosh darned light!". Great dogs!!

I scan the room, ready for battle. Nothing. I get out of bed and turn on the light to the bathroom. Nothing seems amiss and we have glass shower doors, so I don't see anyone hiding in the shower. Huh, I must have dreamed the noise. So, I flip on the TV b/c there is no way I'm getting back to sleep any time soon. I know I was awake for more than an hour b/c I fell asleep during the 3rd half hour episode of a MASH marathon.

I woke in the morning exhausted and before David was up, so I took the opportunity to take a peaceful shower. I reach in and turn the shower on to warm up. Once it's been on for a bit, I open the other door to get in and see that the shower mirror we have hanging has fallen and thus the bottles of soap and shampoo have been scattered about the shower stall. OOOOHHHHH, so I'm not going crazy and there was no intruder last night. Just a mirror which interrupted my sleep....great!!

Oh, and thanks dogs for being great guard dogs and investigating the noise.

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahahahahaha!!! I haev a feeling my dog would be the same way "Noise? What noise. I didn't hear anything." :)

    Glad it was nothing.

    ReplyDelete